*WARNING* This modification may be the cause of a battery drain problem I was having. Use this info at your own risk.
PROBLEM: My Elantra GT has an alarm, but no visual deterrent!
SOLUTION: “Install” a blinking red LED similar to those on other alarm systems.
1 – bright red 5mm Blinking LEDs:
1 – 470 ohm resistor.]
1 – 5mm LED holders from RadioShack: Item #: 276-079
misc. clips & wire.
First I removed one of the dummy switch panel / place holders next to the panel dimmer switch. Use instructions similar to these by southpawboston. Next I soldered some wires to the LED and soldered them to some quick connect clips. Then I drilled a 1/4 inch hole into the center of the switch panel and inserted the LED and clip.
I was going to use a relay, but saw a great post on CandlePowerForums about a better / easier way to do this. A fellow CPFer, CNC Dan said, “Find a source of +12v that is on when the car is off.(clock power?) Then find a source of +12v that is only on when the car is running and always uses power.(daytime running lights? ignition?) Wire your blink led/circuit using the first wire as your POS. connection and the second wire as your NEG. connection. When your car is on both sides of your circuit get +12v so no current flows. Whe the car is off, the switched +12v goes to 0 volts and your circuit sees +12v and 0v and begins to flash.”
What I didn’t know was that the fuses could act as ground when they were not on. I did some tests with my multimeter and saw that everything would work as mentioned in the forum.
Here is my schematic:
Next I needed to tie into the fuses. I was about to run down to Radio Shack for some fuse taps, but decided to try simple wire wrapping… this proved to work very well. I soldered on the other quick connects and put everything together. I made sure everything was insulated with electrical tape and shrink tubing.
Here’s the final product:
Notes:The blinking red LED was designed to focus the light into a tight viewing angle (15 deg). This made the light very bright in one spot, but not very visible from the sides. I took it over to the grinder and removed the cone and flattened the top off the LED to make it diffuse the light. This worked GREAT.
This modification may be the cause of a battery drain problem I was having. Use this info at your own risk.